The Reward for Surviving Rough Seas

The Reward for Surviving Rough Seas
We are all like sea shells tossed about in rough waters and being re-shaped in wondrous ways. But have you ever contemplated the notion that sea shells have to complete their journey through the rough waters before they get to rest on the shore? Yeah, we are ALL like sea shells and Heaven is The Great Shore.

Friday, November 25, 2011

That Baby in the Other Room

Greetings,
This morning I want to talk for just a little bit about how cool it is to be a grandmother.
And I also want to take just a little moment to mention how incredibly cool it is to be married to a grandfather.
lol

For the 2nd time in his young life, my grandson (now 4 months old) had a "sleepover" at our house.

He is due to wake up in about an hour...so this is my pre-baby-duty time slot of the morning...meanwhile he is in the other room.

My daughter & son in law have trusted us with this precious little one and it is an honor that kinda makes me get all teary-eyed.

We got to take him through his nightnight rituals last night...the bottle, the bath, the warm jammies...the little wind up music gizmo that sings him sleep.

We set up the baby monitor and yes I went in to check on him even though we tested the monitor to make sure it was working.
He sleeps with his little fists curled up right next to his ears.

QUESTION:  Is there anything more precious than a sleeping baby?
ANSWER: Yes there is.  I have to say that when he is in that little bathtub of his, with his head all lathered up and his little left foot kicking away, and that gummy grin is beaming at me...yeah THAT is even more precious than when he is sleeping.

And btw...Yes clearly some pixie has sprinkled me with magic grandmother foofydust...cause his drool doesn't bother me, and his diapers don't bother me...and he can scream his head off if he needs to, and it doesn't bother me.

...I remember this part from when I was a young mother myself.  There is a feeling of peace even in the midst of a dynamic hurricane of insistent baby needs.  That baby needs me to hold him and feed him and clean him...and care for his every need. When he needs something today, I will be there to make sure that whatever he needs will be taken care of. I will hold him and comfort him and shower him with love and affection and songs...and I will let him sleep when he needs it...even if he wants to fight against what is best for him and is resistant to taking a nap.

When that little fellow sleeps in my arms...all is right with the world.

And when I see him laughing and playing with his Grampaw...and I see the love in my husbands eyes being focused on that little boy...well there I go getting all teary-eyed again.

Thank you God...for this child...and for the one that is due to arrive in June.

Yes baby #2 is due this summer...and God...I am not sure my heart is big enough for this much love.

...God, how do YOU do it?  You love each of your children more than I ever loved my own daughter and or my grandchild (and the ones to come)...how do you do that?

..God, your heart must be a mighty and awesome thing...

Thank you for the knowledge that I am YOUR child...and that you love me with a force that I can not comprehend but can totally depend on...just like that baby in the other room is depending on me.

In HIM,
Grace.

No comments: