The Reward for Surviving Rough Seas

The Reward for Surviving Rough Seas
We are all like sea shells tossed about in rough waters and being re-shaped in wondrous ways. But have you ever contemplated the notion that sea shells have to complete their journey through the rough waters before they get to rest on the shore? Yeah, we are ALL like sea shells and Heaven is The Great Shore.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

In the Quiet of the Dark Morning

Greetings,
It's a little after 5 am on a Saturday morning.Yes I am an early riser, usually earlier than this.  Today I slept in for a bit.
This is my prayer time and I have found great joy and comfort in the discipline of getting up early, getting my coffee and sitting down at my computer to do my prayer journaling.
Let's talk for just a minute about prayer journaling: It's Amazing.

I start off every morning with a blank page. I type the date and the phrase "Good Morning God,"
It looks like a letter to God.  And I have found that in the quiet of the dark morning, the first words out of my mouth are generally "Thank You".  This is when I usually begin to itemize the list of Blessings that came to me the day before or have already come that morning.

It is a humbling and soul satisfying thing to begin itemizing every little thing that God has blessed you with.  Often I thank God for my coffee, and the fresh milk in it, and for the coffee pot and the filter and the sugar and the pretty cup I drink from,... and the refrigerator to keep the milk cold, and the money to pay for the electricity that runs the refrigerator.

Do you see how one blessing links to so many others?
Do you see just exactly how many things we tend to take for granted?
Do you see my point about how humbling and soul satisfying it is to itemize the zillions of blessings that surround us?

When I am done with the listing of the blessings (though I have never managed to exhaust the list...ever), my frame of mind has been altered significantly.  The tasks of the upcoming day, the cares of the world and the fears in my soul have been subdued; for I have just been reminded that I am loved, blessed and protected by God.

I challenge you to start off your prayers listing blessings and see if it doesn't change your whole sense of well being. My prayer journal awaits:)...time to list my blessings and invite God to enter my day. It's time to thank Him for allowing me to ride in the palm of His Hand once more.

God is Good!

In Him,
Grace

No comments: